As I sit typing, I can't help but wonder how many of you are making memories with your children. Are you cuddled in blankets with popcorn watching a movie? Playing a board game? You just made some great memories.
We begin to look ahead and I ask "How will you make memories with your children?" There are so many ways we can help you make memories with your children this year.
Every day is a reason to celebrate and we are here to help make the extra special days even better.
A few months ago, we came across a book - "How To Be Santa" by Nick Kelsh. We perused the book - it wasn't very big and included advice on everything from costume to mannerisms - and got a good chuckle out of it, but it made me think.
I posed this question to our followers on face book - "What is important to you in a Santa?" The answers I received had two common themes. First is that Santa must genuinely love children, that can be seen and felt. The second is the twinkle in his eye, again something that can't be faked.
It is popular this time of year to have Santa visit at holiday parties, and our Santa is available to come to your event. Even if you have your own Santa, make sure he knows his role. It isn't just wearing a red suit and shouting "Ho! Ho! Ho!" - according to the book good, rugged boots and and hearty chuckle are what to aim for - it is portraying something larger than all of us, Santa brings unconditional love, joy and laughter, he symbolizes hope.
It's fall, we are winding down from a crazy summer - the summer where Wednesday became the new Saturday - a trend that seems to be holding over into the fall.
What does fall mean for you? If you are in charge of planning a holiday event, now is the time to start thinking about your entertainment.
I know the sentiment - "This is no different than the stores putting out Halloween decorations at the beginning of September, or Christmas decorations going out before Halloween is even cleaned up!"
Some one has to think of this early. Everything you buy is made months before it hits the shelves. I wonder if the is where the term "Christmas in July" comes from, but I digress.
As of the end of September we already have 2 Breakfasts with Santa, a community Christmas party, 3 company Christmas Parties, and 2 Family Christmas events. Make sure Santa makes it to your party as well. While the real Santa has his sleigh, this Santa still has to travel the old fashioned way
This summer has kicked off to an amazing start! Schools in the Poconos ended earlier than usual this year, and the kids are now enjoying the best time of year to be a kid.
As we continue to make summer events fun and entertaining for children and families, we wanted to take a moment to pass on a new business that opened in the Poconos - Sweet Repeats Consignment Boutique. They accept infant to tween items and everything in between! Stop in and say hi to Kristin, and tell her Aardvark sent you!
The internet - it's a fantastic tool - all the latest information right at your fingertips. With smartphones, you are never more than a few taps from whatever you want to know.
Want to see a movie - the listings a re right here. Hungry? A list of restaurants right here, and you can get there with the navigation included on your phone. But wait...maybe we shouldn't go to this restaurant. The reviews don't look good. Let's try this other place instead.
Those reviews may not be honest reviews.
Last week we started the this countdown and gave the first 5 reason why professional entertainers charge what they do. We present the final five.
5. Professional entertainers have to be more than entertainers. They have to be CEOs, marketers, bankers, salespeople, production workers, janitors, buyers, negotiators, networkers, drivers, and organizers.Then hey get to be entertainers. That's a lot of hats for one person to wear.
4. Professional entertainers make any situation work. Small space, large space, indoors or out, a professional entertainer has performed everywhere and will make sure the entertainment is perfect for the venue and guests.
3. Professional entertainers know the ins and outs of all types of events. You plan a party once or twice a year, a communion a few times in your life, and wedding once. Professional entertainers entertain all the time and have entertained at hundreds of events. Because of this, they have the experience to make your event amazing.
2. Professional entertainers watch for the newest products available. They stay up to date on industry news, and find things that perfectly match their clients taste. They know the newest trends. They don't try and fit you into something you don't like - they find out what you want and search the world over for the perfect things. They are the professional.
1. Professional entertainers have the knowledge and the skill to make you look the best you can be. I can buy a wrench for a few dollars at the hardware store. Yet I spent hundreds of dollars for a mechanic to repair my car. I can buy a needle and thread for a few dollars at the fabric store. Yet I spent over $100 on alterations at a local tailor. It's not about the tools; it's about the outcome.
Sure, anyone can buy a magic kit and call themselves a magician, or speakers and a laptop and call themselves a DJ, but you won't get the same kind of performance or attention to detail a professional can give you.
Isn't it time to see a professional?
10. Professional entertainers are in business, and businesses need to make a profit. This is how they put a roof over their head, food on the table and stay warm in the winter. Because they make it their career, they dedicate themselves to becoming the best they can be, and share the talents they have honed with their clients.
9. Professional entertainers have to buy professional equipment. They don't walk into Wal-Mart, pick up what's on the shelf and declare themselves a professional entertainer. They spend quite a bit of money on props, supplies, costumes, equipment and dues to necessary associations, the list goes on. That is just for the performance.
8. Professional entertainers continue their education, and learn as much as they can about their form of entertainment. They attend seminars, learn from others in the business through books and videos, and stay up to date on new equipment, techniques, trends, and laws. They concentrate on becoming the best they can be.
7. Professional entertainers don't just attend an event, they create an event. They understand the needs and expectations of their clients, and they understand the timing and flow of the event. . You're not just paying for a distraction, you are paying for the professional entertainer to create lasting memories for your guests.
6. Professional entertainers can spend hours producing one event. Time can include:
Check back next week to see the final five reasons why entertainers charge what the do.
We are thrifty people. We buy used, we recycle old items into something new, we try not to buy anything disposable. It is ironic, since our business is selling a service that is a luxury. You don't HAVE to have entertainment at a birthday party or company picnic, a sweet 16 or a festival. But the key in being thrifty is to decide where you are willing to cut back, so you can splurge on what you want.
In fact, being thrifty is how we have survived this economic downturn as well as we did, and we have turned to blogs such "Penny Pinchin' Mom" for ideas. Today I read an interesting blog on how to save money on birthday parties. (I really like her advice on RSVP-ing, but that is for another day.) This economy is rough, and we don't know anyone who hasn't been affected by it in some way. Hopefully these tips will help make the party a lighter expense on your wallet.
However, we also understand the value of quality. Just because you can do or purchase something cheaply, does not make it a good value. What is the point of having a party if no one is having fun.
Just to add a few tips of our own:
When you hire entertainment, experience matters. When you are looking for something special, not just any kind of experience matters. You need an entertainment company and entertainer that is well rounded. Why does that matter?
We are providing entertainment for a birthday party in April. The Grandmother of the birthday children called, she wanted a candy cart for the party as well. She already called the local chain party store, they had no clue. She searched on the internet, and came up with nothing in the Poconos. She is from Staten Island and candy carts are huge, she really wanted one, and was upset that she couldn't find one. Calling us was her last resort. Lucky for her we knew what she wanted. We knew we could do it, we just needed to do some research.
We also have a search feature on our home page. Yes, we can see what you search our site for, but it helps us understand if we are providing the services you are looking for, so please don't be afraid to use the search. Recently, someone searched for a "photo booth". I am not sure exactly what they wanted, I know they didn't find any information about photo booths, but we do have the ability to do basic photo booths. If we couldn't accommodate their needs, we know several avenues they could have tried, and then it wouldn't be a blind search.
Experience matters - because in order to get what you want, the entertainers need to know what it is you want, and the best method to give you the desired performance you are looking for.
It was another mild day in the Poconos, and a perfect day to hit the slopes! The skiers were in full force yesterday at Shawnee Mountain Ski Area, and they enjoyed all the festivities of the annual winter carnival!
This celebration of winter is such a big event it is covered by many of the local news stations and the local paper. We had popcorn and carnival games there, and there were ice sculptors and skiing demonstrations, but the media loves the face painter.
Check out the two articles below that feature our resident face painter, Georgette Clark:
Pocono Record Photo (Finished Flower Face Painting Design)
WFMZ30 Second News Piece (Bulldog Face Painting in Progress)
For more information on how Aardvark Entertainment can some fun to your festival, contact us online or call us at (570) 424-9947.
Mark Clark the owner of Aardvark Entertainment. Has been performing for over 40 years.
You might be interested in...